An inscribed Roman stone from Malton was shown in London at the Royal Society in 1755. A small group, with a growing interest in their town’s past, began to meet in the Subscription Rooms and a collection began to be acquired. In 1935 they were given a room in the newly-built Milton Rooms taking the name The Roman Malton Museum.By 1982, they had outgrown the space and a new museum was established in the Old Town Hall. Still entirely run by volunteers, it thrived with both permanent and temporary exhibitions, and soon added an education room where schools could be welcomed.
However, the 21st century brought changing fortunes, and an expiring lease led to the museum facing closure in 2012. Many museums may have withered but enthusiasm and determination ensured Malton Museum’s rebirth as Malton Museum in the Community. If the public could not come to the objects, the objects would go to the public through a creative programme of events for audiences of all ages.
In 2013 the museum was fortunate to obtain use of two large rooms in The Subscription Rooms. This was an opportunity once again to create permanent but changing displays sharing some of the collection with the public, as well as restoring the rooms to some of their former glory. The volunteers rose to this challenge and the museum is more engaged and active than it has ever been.