Post-medieval

About the collection

Post Medieval
Malton, and later Norton, developed into busy towns and an inland port on the River Derwent. The museum holds a small but growing archive of paper ephemera relating to their buildings and activities, as well as objects from the shops.

The importance of the local brewing industry is reflected in a selection of glass and stoneware bottles and other items. Material relating to the racing and training of horses, for which the area became and remains well known, includes an early advert for racing on the course at Langton Wold and a collection from jockey turned trainer Sir Guy Cunard, including his riding boots and saddle along with various paper ephemera.

The collections also contain a number of paintings and other items from local artist Dorothea Forsyth.

Bundle seal
ayp_7061 8_ale_jars dsc_1463

Items within the collection

Paper advertisement

Mr Shaw sold boots and shoes from his shop in Commercial Street, Norton. The ideas expressed in his poetical advertisement make for interesting reading.

dsc_1463
Beer bottle

A glass bottle with Russell and Wrangham's Winner Ales logo.

AYP_6911
Riding boots

These riding boots belonged to Sir Guy Cunard, nicknamed 'The Galloping Major', who as a jockey rode more than 260 winners, retiring from the saddle in 1968 to become a trainer.

AYP_6886
Russian seal

Seals of this sort were used to guarantee the quality of bundles of flax and hemp shipped from Russia into England to make sails, ropes and linen.

The Russian lettering gives information about the inspectors, the ports, the contents of the bundles and, frequently, the date. Made of flexible lead-alloy they could easily be attached to the bundles.

Bundle seal
Tap jars

Two ceramic stoneware jars from the local firm of Russell and Wrangham. These particular examples were used to supply ale and porter from their Wholesale and Retail establishment in Darlington, Co Durham.

8_ale_jars
Metal advertising sign

The Tate Smith family developed a wholesale business in the late 19th century when they ran The Green Man in the market place. In 1888 the purchase of a Codd’s bottle filler, a new and improved method of bottling aerated water, enabled them to develop sales of non-alcoholic drinks, and the company continues business to this day.

ayp_7061
Cotton reels

The curved front of Snow’s draper's shop, on the corner of Castlegate and Yorkersgate, was a well-known landmark in Malton until 1967.

ayp_6953
Watercolour

This painting of Malton market place is by Dorothea Forsyth (1882 - 1945), a local artist.

Malton Market Place