The Museum holds a collection of glass plate negatives that record the excavations carried out by Philip Corder and John Kirk in the late 1920s and early 1930s at Cawthorn Camps, Crambeck, Malton Fort and Langton Villa.
Although we can be fairly confident about which photographs belong to which sites, and a small number of them have appeared in publications, the lack of written documentation means that it is not always possible to say what feature a given photograph shows.
Another collection, this one of film negatives, records the excavations of the Roman vicus on the Orchard Field site in Malton between 1949 and 1952. These photographs were taken by Raymond Hayes and although most of the negatives have been numbered, unfortunately we do not have a document listing the subject matter.
We include here a small selection of images from these archives.