Antiquarians have been collecting in Malton since at least the 18th century but the museum’s main collections are from excavations in the first half of the 20th century. They have been enlarged by donations of the material of all ages, and of a wide range of objects, from Malton and Norton and the surrounding area of Ryedale. These include a rich, and fully reported and documented, a collection of objects from metal detecting through the generous gift of the late Jim Halliday, and a small but significant group of local pictures from the late Nigel Hudleston. A group of items relating to the more recent history of Malton and Norton is also growing partly due to recent generous donations from the public.
The collection contains circa 1100 standard boxes of artefacts, of which 96% is archaeological. Currently space less than 4% of our collection can be viewed at any one time.